Whyalla Port Expansion
|Duration of works:||2012 - 2012|
|Location:||Whyalla is located on the upper north east coast of the Eyre Peninsula of South Australia, Australia|
- Designed and constructed a complete signalling solution for Arrium Mining’s Whyalla Port Expansion Project, located within the OneSteel steelworks in Whyalla, including:
- 15 kilometres of steel track
- two signalled balloon loops
- 11 active level crossings
- interfaces with two existing main and several internal rail lines.
- Responsibilities included scope, design, procurement, construction, installation, testing and commissioning, and delivery of power and communication networks.
The key challenges of the project were:
The remoteness of Whyalla with infrequent freight connections required special planning and budgeting. Cable and equipment delivery rates varied and freight had to be consolidated from different sources.
The key milestones of the project were:
This was the first Australian project to use the HIMA Computer Based Interlocking and the Frauscher FAdC Ethernet-based axle counter system. It also included the PcVue Human Machine Interface and the ground-up development of an RCS Australia windows based Simulator Graphical User Interface for training and principles testing.